evangs1

The History of Project Terra

8 posts in this topic

It's actually kind of sad that I have to do something like this, but here goes!

I am fairly new to PT.  I registered in November of 2014.  Since seeing this game die and people making references to Alpha, and pre-Beta, it makes me want to know what really happened.  Because this game is almost dead, and there are few community members left, I want to put the history of Project Terra into the history books forever, while I can.

So what do YOU have to contribute?

Please post anything related to the history of PT, Alpha mechanics, developer politics, PT being hacked, etc. 

New and old players alike need to know these things, so don't be afraid to share!

In the beginning there was effort of development, but all has been lost to the mists of time...

In the beginning there was effort of development, but all has been lost to the mists of time...

That sounds like a good ending to my novel!

Found this link here:

When the game was first infiltrated, it was closed to protect those who had not been hacked. Chris decided that this was a prime oppurtunity to recode the game into Beta, and gave October as an estimate for the date of completion. However: he encountered bumps along the way.

In Iris' words: "Chris informed me, and the rest of the team, that 6 weeks was a conservative estimate. Hence, Chris posted an October estimate. In the weeks following, we felt confident that we would make the proposed deadline. Once we did get to that fateful day, however, it was apparent that the game was not close to ready. The development team simply hadn't had enough time and severely underestimated the time it would take to complete the game. By the time November came around, we had another discussion with Chris about the game's release. While we didn't want to set another arbitrary deadline for fear of missing it yet again, we also did not want to leave the community absolutely uninformed."

Sadly this is exactly what they did. 

Once upon a time PT was a game that worked, people enjoyed it and the community was active.

Then the game was hacked and taken offline.

Apparently a recoded beta version would be up shortly afterwards - but wasn't

Much later a limited version of a "re-coded" PT was released with very limited functionality

The "recoded" version was not developed, people ran out of stuff to do, stopped playing and the community died

Once upon a time PT was a game that worked, people enjoyed it and the community was active.

Then the game was hacked and taken offline.

Apparently a recoded beta version would be up shortly afterwards - but wasn't

Much later a limited version of a "re-coded" PT was released with very limited functionality

The "recoded" version was not developed, people ran out of stuff to do, stopped playing and the community died

Sounds about right. 

This game was once really a big hit, at least with me....I loved the ability to try to pass a variety of laws and see how passing them affected your nation.  That was the best feature.  No other game, that I know if, has done anything like it since.  I also liked the analytical side of the game, as I am a very amalytical person...it made you think.  But in August 2012 when it got hacked, everything then went downhill.  First the whole thing went offline for several months (over 15 months I think) and there was very little word.  Then it 'seemed' that the game was making an attempt to return and we were told that it would be 'invite' only really and that the older players of the past version would be able to send out invite codes...it would be limited at first in order to work out the bugs.  This was about a year back.  But since then, there has been ro real updates, bugs have come up, I can no longer use Logistics and the Market correctly, and there has been really no word from the owner.  Folks have offered to buy the game so they can 'code' it can get it running again, and others have offered to help the owner buy offering to sell their services to him and do the coding with/for him.  Now, very sadly, the game is slowly breaking down due to no updates, bugs are popping up, and people are leaving.  Most have left, but a few dumb ones like me were staying around hoping to hear from the owner, for a word, for correction of the current bugs, an update, a post, something....but nothing.  I know for most people this is just a game, and I know that too....but I have Cystic Fibrosis, am terminal, am in and out of the hospital (10 hospitalizations last year), and all I really can do, all I really look forward to are games like this, as I dont have much energy anymore.  I cant tell you how sad and depressed that has made me...and when I send the owner a message asking him to please just let me know his intent, I dont get a reply.  i dont know if he is mad at me or something or what.  At this point in my life I am pretty sensative I know, but it really does upset me and saddens me that no one cares to talk to me.  Anyway, i am sorry, I digress.  In conclusion, a really good game is pretty much dead.....