Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John DeMicheal

[Draft] Sovereignty in Conflict

10 posts in this topic

Preamble

Recognizing the right of individual International Council Members to declare war on other International Council Members at their discretion as well as to allow themselves a right of defense against other nations the following is hereby established to protect the rights of nations to represent their interests through conflict but still to allow Civilians and non-Belligerents rights of safety and well being.

Article the First - Definitions

a. On "Belligerent":

i. For the purposes of this Resolution "Belligerent" shall refer to a commissioned soldier of a Belligerent Nation's armed forces.

ii. For the purposes of this Resolution "Belligerent Nation" shall refer to a nation that has openly involved themselves in a conflict.

iii. Article I, Section A, Clauses i and ii shall be subject to the provisions of Article I, Section D.

b. On "Civilian":

i. Article I, Section D notwithstanding "Civilian" shall include, but not be limited to, a person resident in any Belligerent or non-Belligerent nation that has made no move against any Belligerent force and is not wearing the uniform of any Belligerent nation

or actively supporting conflict of any sort.

c. On "Aid Worker":

i. Article I, Section D notwithstanding "Aid Worker" shall include, but not be limited to, a person deployed by any governmental or non-governmental agency who is providing basic aid including but not limited to food, water, and shelter, but not including arms or ammunition, to Civilians effected by the conflict.

d. The Sovereignty of each nation to develop their own definition of "Belligerent Nation," "Belligerent," "Civilian," or "Aid Worker," shall not be denied within the constraints of this Resolution. Nor shall the sovereignty of each nation to define any other term used within this Resolution.

i. Notwithstanding the above section shall not be construed to exclude obviously implied parties from a definition or group.

Article the Second - Sovereignty to Begin Conflict or Defend one's Nation

a. All nations within the International Council shall have a right to begin a conflict against another Belligerent nation or to Defend their possessions, territory, Citizens, or Trade/Economics against a forceful attack.

b. Article the First, Subsection a. notwithstanding, the International Council advises nations to treat War as a final option. For, once declared, it cannot be withdrawn and can lead to loss of Military Personnel or Civilian Life.

c. Nothing in this Resolution shall be construed to prevent a nation from declaring war or defending itself or it's alliance or allies.

Article the Third - Plea to Protect Civilian, Aid Workers, etc.

a. Where possible Civilian, Aid Worker, etc. lives shall be respected and protected to the best ability of the Belligerents therein.

b. Recognizing that a nation may see an Aid Worker as an enemy of that nation does clarify that the aforementioned aid worker may not be intentionally killed or injured without a proper tribunal in which evidence is shown that the aid worker deliberately made an action of conflict in the War.

Article the Fourth - Prisoners of War

a. A Prisoner of War shall be a Belligerent Force captured by an opposing force during or after a conflict.

b. A Prisoner of War may be detained but cannot be tortured unless the nation holding them has reason to believe that they may have information pertaining to the Security of said nation.

c. A Prisoner of War has the right to medical services and to release if the holding nation cannot provide a necessary medical service.

d. A Prisoner of War has the right to necessary amounts of food, water, and shelter.

e. A Prisoner of War may not be killed solely for being an opponent of the holding nation.

Article the Fifth - Provisions

a. Apart from the provisions of this Resolution the right of sovereignty in conflict shall not be abridged nor denied.

Signatures;

John DeMicheal of Joylopi

Member of the Liberal Party; Prime Minister

I struggle to see the relevance of article 2 and 3 unless they are solely for rping. I'm fine with this if it is solely for rp. I agree with the rest of the proposal and can't see anything that might make it illegal

I'd suggest changing it to something along the lines of "Each nation has the right to determine their own definition of Belligerent Participants and their own definition of Civilian Workers." That will allow for nations to set their own standards and still respect the international desire to protect those not directly involved in the conflict.

I'm happy to sign except for one thing. Article 1 Section d Subsection i,

Notwithstanding the above section shall not be construed to exclude obviously implied parties from a definition or group.

Right after you say Nations are not denied from making their own definitions, you say that they are. Remove that bit or edit it in some way for better clarity of what you mean if that wasn't the intended meaning and then I'll sign.

Dude? Seriously? Bumping a 4 month dead thread, for an institution which is in limbo...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0