Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King Steve VII

The Game Called War

7 posts in this topic

Dear Archon,

I apologize for replying to your offer so long after it was given. The Osean military, in particular its airforce, has undergone some immense changes as of late, and I did not want to reply with a no due to something as easily solved as the problem we had encountered. Regardless, the Osean Federation accepts your offer, and would like for you to send over the details as soon as possible.

Sincerely, Primarch Pleasant

[OOC: Pleasant? Really? :P ]

Primarch,

We are interested in large scale maneuvers, which is very different from operations such as the one in southern Germania. We can provide infrastructure for up to five thousand troops, and can house a good number of aircraft squadrons. Scenarios would be varied, including urban warfare, river crossings and working out logistical requirements for the movement of large armies. As I mentioned in my previous letter, we are particularly interested in meeting your famed "Ghosts of Razgriz".

Regards, Archon Beauregard

Well that's my silly name irl so I figured I'd use it for this :P

----------------------

Archon

We accept, and would like to suggest that the games take place in the uninhabited land east of Corneria. Our soldiers will be firing paint rounds, and our artillery and air support will be using sound rounds that make a loud explosion noise but do not actually do damage. Your side may set the terms and the exact time and sequence that the events occur. Our two sides will meet afterwards for a discussion of the tactics used in the games.

Primarch,

Excellent suggestion, my soldiers will be deploying to the area ASAP. More details on scenarios to follow.

Regards, Archon Beauregard

P.S It may interest you to know that a certain individual you brought back from your holiday in Germania has made a nearly full recovery. Still on crutches, though. Sends his regards.

Legate Mara overlooked the Osean Defensive line. which was comprised mainly of portable steel barricades and machine gun nests overlooking the river.

"Legate, the 45th armored legion has arrived." said one of his Centurions." They are loaded with the dummy rounds and are fitted to shut off when hit, as requested. "

"Excellent, Thank you" replied the Legate. "Bring them into the tank trenches that the engineers blasted. Keep the transports behind the main line. "

"Sir."

(Only the Osean Special Forces use traditional military ranks, the main army, AF, and Marines use Roman Ranks)

------------------

Legionnaire Howard was running back and forth along the defensive line, bringing paint ammo to machine gun nests, stacking cases of Standard Infantry Rifle ammo, and hauling paint shells to artillery and tank lines. Finally, he sat down, picked up his SIR, loaded it, and took his position among those in his cohort. After he sat down on his green army issue stool, he slipped his black shooting gloves on, lowered his goggles, and zipped up his green and brown flecked summer camo, emblazoned with the bright blue Osean insignia.

He looked back at the 7,000 plus men garrisoning the hill beside the river, and felt good that they would beat the Drakian Army, who were advancing slowly across the field opposite to them on the warm spring day.

-----------------------

"This is Legate Mara, commander of the 1st Osean Army, all units report in."

"This is the 45th Armored Legion, Callsign Shield reporting in"

"This is the 3rd Osean Fighter Squadron, Callsign Razgriz, Reporting in"

"This is the 4th Osean Artillery battery, Callsign Thunder, reporting in"

"This is the 76th Legion, Callsign Reaper, reporting in"

"Legate Mara to all Callsigns, Operation Wargames is go, I repeat, operation is go. Give 'em hell, boys."

[OOC: Ranks and units are explained here: http://forum.project...ory/#entry85868 ]

[DRAKIAN 1ST ARMY HQ]

The officers were hunched over a computer generated map of the area. Their opponents were dug in behind a river, a hill giving them a good view of the battlefield.

Arch-Strategos Hale, in charge of the operation finally spoke.

Recon suggests approx. 7,000 men, a few hundred tanks and between 30-50 aircraft of all types. Some heli and artillery support, but we don’t believe they’ve had time to zero in yet.

The Oseans are dug in across this river; they clearly want us to come to them. 92nd Janissary Chiliarchy will attempt to cross the river here to the west, using this bridge. Since it’s one of the few standing bridges in the area, the enemy will definitely be keeping an eye on the area and the crossing will probably fail. At the same time, 32nd and 7th Janissary Chiliarchy will open up on their opposites across the river, pinning as many Osean units down as possible.

This will be but a distraction. When the Osean Army moves to block this attempt, 2nd Citizen Armoured Legion will attempt a crossing far to the east here, using smoke and artillery as cover, while bridgelayers do what they do best. Once the bridges are deployed, the tanks, 352nd Citizen Merarchy and 22nd Janissary Merarchy will storm across the river, supported by our aircraft and every chopper we can spare. Once a breakthrough is achieved, we will swing back west, with any luck surrounding the Osean army. Questions?” The room was silent.

“Tetrarch, any idea on how they’ll react?”

“I’ve only worked with them on a couple of occasions, but I’ve noticed they prefer to dig in and strike at the enemy from a distance. Might be looking at heavy casualties for the distraction units. That breakthrough will be absolutely essential; once we’re through their lines we should be able to encircle them easily enough.”

“It’s the best chance we’ve got, thank you Jansen, report back to your unit.” Tetrarch Jansen saluted and left.

Arch Strategos Hale nodded, and 11,000 soldiers began moving to their positions. Tanks rolled out, helicopters began spinning their rotors, and fighter-bombers began taxiing down the runway.

2 ½ hours later-noon local time, the artillery attached to 92nd Janissary Chiliarchy began their bombardment, while grey-clad Janissaries prepared to storm the bridge.

Legate Mara saw the main Drakain Force split into two sections, the biggest heading towards the bridge, just as he predicted.

"Reaper 3-1, 3-2, and 3-3, move over to the east and dig in." the Legate said into his headset.

"Roger"

"All Shield units, you are cleared to open fire on the unit approaching the bridge."

"Firing"

"Thunder, fire on that tank column, spotter will relay the co-ords"

"Roger"

"Razgriz, blow the bridge."

--------------------

The wing of black planes took off from the newly-built Osean Aerodrome, and zipped towards the battlefield.

"This is Blaze, we got bogeys, twelve O'Clock. Let's do it"

"Swordsman here, engaging."

The bright blue guided rocket under the wind of "Swordsman's" plane arced towards an unsuspecting Drakian fighter, exploding and drenching the fighter in bright red paint.

"That's a hit!"

The elite Osean squadron weaved through the ranks of the Drakian fighter-bombers, taking every one that engaged them out.

Callsigns Archer and Edge broke off out of formation, and just before the Drakians got into the blast radius, deployed two 500lb bombs, turning the bridge into a pile of rubber flowing downstream.

--------------

Legn. Howard marveled at the speed and efficiency that his own army moved. Immediately, he saw the black planes arcing and swooping through the Drakian lines.

"Black planes, and that insignia" an Osean soldier near him whispered "It's them"

Near him, a Drakian shell exploded, the hill in front of hit blocking most of the blast, but still showering a few soldiers with red paint.

"Damn it!" they yelled before walking behind the lines.

Howard heard a call go out through the front line

"They're in range! Open Fire!!"

Howard resisted the urge to blow through all of his ammo in long bursts, instead, he switched his SIR to single shot and peppered the Drakian force with paint, while the tanks blew huge masses of paint over the Drakains.

The artillery zeroed the Drakian transports trying to flank them, and opened up in earnest.

All along the Osean lines, fire opened up, helicopters took off, and red paint rained.

----------------

Just to clear things up, my forces are in front of the first bridge, so 3/4 of your forces or w/e are moving directly towards me, while the other quarter are flanking and being fired upon by helicopters and arty.

Edited by King Steve VII