Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jester

Discussion of Donation Benefits

71 posts in this topic

This is a thread for members of the community to put forward ideas of what they would like to see as the potential benefits of donating to the game. There is no guarantee that these ideas will be used, final decisions on this front are Chris's and Chris's alone. But it would be good to know what people would think worth paying for.

EDIT: Note regarding discussion

As a note to everyone, this thread is NOT for discussion of donation benefits that already exist (or are added to the store in the future.) Discuss benefits in the abstract, or in theory, discuss specifics of ways to improve it, change it, and things to add. But do not start arguing or ********ing about things that are in the store. Everything that gets added to the store was carefully considered, and is, for all intents and purposes, a final decision.

More visual customization options for your nation. IE changing the background!

Oooh! Or a larger flag!

How about faster research times? Or a boost to Gov. Satisfaction and Population Happiness?

How about faster research times? Or a boost to Gov. Satisfaction and Population Happiness?

Please no.

I would hate to see this turn into a game where someone can buy a good nation.

I agree with Sasha. This isn't one of those cheap-ass Facebook games (not trying to sound hostile, sorry :P).

The problem with stat boosts, is whether they'd be temporary or permanent. If the latter, even a tiny one would have to be very expensive. If it was temporary, then it wouldn't be a very popular choice.

I hope PT never turns into a 'pay to win' style game.

I like Sasha's Idea about changing backgrounds.

I think adding donations that confer in-game benefits are fine, but they should be balanced out so that they are not too overpowered.

I was thinking that people would buy terra coins in bulk and then be able to use them to buy access to things...

I was thinking that people would buy terra coins in bulk and then be able to use them to buy access to things...

That is simple enough to fix, you just limit quantity per transaction and put a limit on how often you can donate. Once a month, say, just like CN. The key is balance.

More visual customization options for your nation. IE changing the background!

Oooh! Or a larger flag!

Larger Flag as in bigger size or bigger file size? Donaters should be able to use flags that are larger sizes than 30KB. I have an idea, donate a certain amount of cash and you get to video-chat (or whatever) with Chris. :laugh:

Edited by Philippe

Larger Flag as in bigger size or bigger file size? Donaters should be able to use flags that are larger sizes than 30KG. I have an idea, donate a certain amount of cash and you get to video-chat (or whatever) with Chris. :laugh:

I didn't know our flag size was restricted by kilograms..

And larger in both ways.

From both sides...I'm not at all a proponent of giving a significant edge to those with deep pockets. It becomes a matter of someone with money being able to outplay someone who really plays their nation to the best of their ability, but still falls behind others with money. Strategy is thrown out the window.

On the other hand...the admin needs donations from the community and those willing to give freely to support the game deserve some type of reward for doing so. It frankly doesn't matter their motivation. They're helping to keep the game going for all of us. That being said, I like the suggestion above of temporary bonuses versus permanent ones. I also don't see why bonuses can't be a combination of short term game benefits and aesthetics such as maybe a bigger flag or other things to dress up your nation page.

One thing I would want to stress as being fundamental is to cap the donation amount per month. For example, once donations for your nation have reached, say $25, you can't place donations towards your nation again until the following month. I also word it this way because I would like to see the option for a player to donate to another player's nation, but still have that cap in place. The cap would also be restricted to one person can only donate that total amount in a month regardless of whose nation(s) they choose to apply it to.

Now, given that some people will be willing to donate monthly, you can't make the reward for it be something that can only be used once and not needed again. Some examples I can come up with are:

• Reduce research time for one level by "x %"
  • Funds applied to nation...discuss reasonable amount
  • Increase Pop/Gov Happiness by "x%" for "x" amount of days
  • Increase military effectiveness by 20%, for example, for "x" amount of days

That's just off the cuff...I really don't know. I'll post some other thoughts when I've had more time to consider it, but what you receive should be incremental based on the donation:

$5 -

$10 -

$15 -

$20 -

$25 -

Discuss.

Money or land.

1 mil or 1km for every real dollar. You get something, and its not gamebreaking.

Maybe the ability to change one of your base resources. Imagine the scenario, you've been playing for a while and have invested a lot of your time in the game. However, you have one regret, that when you'd started that you'd known your particular style of play is suited to a particular resource, and that you'd re-rolled until you got that resource.

This suggestion presupposes that:

1) In future resources are finely balanced (I'm looking at you military resources).

2) Different resources lend themselves to different styles of play. eg. Aluminium lends itself to Mechanised Infantry (lightweight and fairly strong), Steel lends itself to Armour, and Rubber (or some replacement resource) lends itself to Infantry (something used in body armour perhaps).

Everything has it's own strengths and weaknesses, but if the game mechanics are complex enough then ultimately individual players will have their own preferences on how they like to play. This way resource swapping will confer a personal advantage without conferring a huge absolute advantage. (and if one resource is unbalanced then lots of people switching to/from one resource will highlight the this)

edit: let me just say, I'm not particular fond of stat boosts and the like. This was just my idea of something that could effect your nation, but where the benefit is subjective rather than objective.

Edited by Dunes

I don't like the idea of being able to buy nation benefits. I prefer the idea of only being able to buy little extra features such as background images, larger flags and custom currency names that other people have suggested that don't have an impact on your nation in any way

Edited by Kruka Mashana

People who don't donate will never want there to be any in-game advantage for the donators. I absolutely don't believe in giving donators a significant advantage that can tilt the game, but you have to remember that it's because of people who donate that you can play for free. For that, they deserve some advantage. I like the Terra Coins proposal where you can choose what you spend them on.

I hope PT never turns into a 'pay to win' style game.

I like Sasha's Idea about changing backgrounds.

+1

They really work well. (the backgrounds that is)

How about having our cake and eating it to.

Terra Coins that you can use to beautify nation and/or low powered stat boosts. The stat boosts can be temporary with duration equalling $ donated. e.g. $30 donation gives you +5% for 30 days. You could also boost 5 different stats at 1% each for 30 days.

1 Terra Coin costs $1 and can provide either:

• a 5% one day stat boost
  • OR
  • a small "spice up your nation" feature

Edit: You can only spend 20 Terra Coins per day

Edited by John Gault

How about having our cake and eating it to.

Terra Coins that you can use to beautify nation and/or low powered stat boosts. The stat boosts can be temporary with duration equalling $ donated. e.g. $30 donation gives you +5% for 30 days. You could also boost 5 different stats at 1% each for 30 days.

1 Terra Coin costs $1 and can provide either:

• a 5% one day stat boost
  • OR
  • a small "spice up your nation" feature

Edit: You can only spend 20 Terra Coins per day

Pretty much "pay to win".