Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jester

Discussion of Donation Benefits

71 posts in this topic

The stats bonus is very small & very temporary

But if you can have 20 terra coins a day, at 5% increase. For 20 dollars you get a 100% increase to your stats. Put that on income, or growth for a day or two.

How about:

Larger Flag (as already discussed)

More Backgrounds (a bigger donation allows you to upload your own)

Create a custom currency

Create a national anthem (text only)

This way donateors can get something in return without getting an advantage.

Let's you upload a non-copyrighted piece of music as a theme. Approved by mods

But if you can have 20 terra coins a day, at 5% increase. For 20 dollars you get a 100% increase to your stats. Put that on income, or growth for a day or two.

I was actually thinking 1 stat would increase by 5% for a day.

e.g. $1 increases Population Happiness by 5% for one day

or

$20 gives you 100 percentage points to distribute among your stats - you could increase 1 stat by 100% for a day or 5 stats by 20% etc.

it is a percentage so if your growth was 6000/day, it could jump up to 12000/day.

Edited by John Gault

I was actually thinking 1 stat would increase by 5% for a day.

e.g. $1 increases Population Happiness by 5% for one day

or

$20 gives you 100 percentage points to distribute among your stats - you could increase 1 stat by 100% for a day or 5 stats by 20% etc.

it is a percentage so if your growth was 6000/day, it could jump up to 12000/day.

So it's a huge addition to your nation, giving us pay-to-win nations.

Pay to win= No. I doubt chris will do anything with that, so argueing it is pointless imo. I think we should avoid anything with ingame benefits.

Custom things... IE implement an option where everyone can choose a single pip to use, and if you pay you can have more options...

Have it like Xbox live characters... you have a bunch of options to choose from, but you can pay for better ones.

This could be applicable to almost anything/everything that you personalize about your nation/forum account.

How about for each level of donation, there be some sort of discount given on buying land or researching tech. Like if you donate 20 dollars, you get 20% off land purchase for that day that you bought the donation. You could only chose either land discount or tech discount in 1 donation and you can only donate once a month.

No offense, but a lot of you are being very selfish in your wishes. I agree wholeheartedly that you shouldn't be able to donate your way into a better nation, but at the same time if there aren't good incentives for donating then people won't donate. If people don't donate, then we don't get our free game.

And don't tell me that "uploading a bigger flag" is a really good incentive for donating. If I pay five dollars and I get my flag, then that's all I have to donate for life. Unless I feel like changing the flag, which I probably won't, then where is the incentive to donate anymore? One time donations for permanent aesthetic perks are nice, but they won't be enough. And making the aesthetic perks temporary won't help either, it'll just be incredibly frustrating and discouraging.

No, the only thing that would really work is some kind of in-game perk that is not nearly enough to be a game changer but still enough to encourage people to buy incentives. At this point, the only really fair thing I can think of is donating to receive an in-game cash bonus of something in the area of €500,000. It's enough to give people a little boost, but not enough to really push them beyond other people. When people start really rolling in the dough, this will be even less of a problem. Small, inconsequential boosts are what you guys should be looking for. Your other options just aren't going to work.

Temporary in-game stat boosts have the potential to be very unfair, especially if they are cumulative to however many times you donate or in relation to the amount of € you give.

Also, someone mentioned uploading anthems. I've seen this mentioned dozens of times in various threads, but last I heard Chris will not be considering uploaded anthems of any kind for various reasons, and I believe that's his final decision.

Also, someone mentioned uploading anthems. I've seen this mentioned dozens of times in various threads, but last I heard Chris will not be considering uploaded anthems of any kind for various reasons, and I believe that's his final decision.

Just wanted to clarify this. Kyber is exactly right. The ability to upload your own national anthem will not be implemented. If we were to go down that road at all, what would happen is players could gain access to a list of pre-loaded anthems to pick from. No personal uploads.

The idea of "low-powered" stat bonuses being fairer for the player population that refuses to pay is laughable. Have the honesty to call a spade a spade.

*Glares directly at a few posters*

Any advantage, no matter how "small" or "temporary" (a "temporary" bonus is actually a misnomer, as something like a 5% increase in daily income for 30 days gives a player a permanent $$$ bonus over others, since other nations didn't have that same 5% increase for those 30 days), is still an advantage. Imagine that you are a lower class nation fighting a war against someone whose military only slightly outnumbers your units. Something like buying a couple dozen "small" $500 000 bonuses would be enough to shift the balance of power towards you, if he refuses to donate as well. To even deny that such elements take the game towards a Pay to Win model is ridiculous.

However, Prince of Sicily raises a fair point. As of now, the only things you can buy via the in-game shop are permanent items like the Newspaper and Stars. As soon as you get 3 stars and a Newspaper, you probably won’t be spending any more money to support the game. To keep a constant source of income flowing to keep the servers running, items need to be more along the lines of a “pay-to-win” scenario, as annoying as that might be.

But wait! There’s a compromise! Cybernations (another nation simulator) found a way around this problem ages ago. There’s a server for the regular edition of their game, as well as a server for the competitive “tournament” version. There’s a whole bunch of minor tweaks and differences between those systems, but let’s get straight to the point: The regular edition allows for purchase of land, technology, money, and infrastructure bonuses with real money. The competitive edition bans all such donations.

Instead of just Stable and Sandbox, we could have Stable, Tournament, and Sandbox.

“But wait”, you ask. “Where’s the incentive to join up in the Stable server, or even pay for stuff if people know that the Tournament server is so much fairer?”

Three things:

A. Sandbox would be closed to all non-paying members, and be renamed as the “Beta” server. Beta Testers (players who have bought stars, the Newspaper, in-game bonuses, etc.) would be allowed access to the exclusive server in order to test out whatever new gameplay elements that the admin wishes to add, and be able to “import” their nation from Stable and enjoy the x5 faster gameplay speed. Since the x5 faster gameplay speed only applies to that server, no one has reason to complain. (Players would have to enter a passcode to join this server, which would be a one-time use randomly generated number code sent via email.) This can be a sort of subscription-like payment model: the amount of money that you donate/use to buy bonuses determines how long you have access to the Beta server. (Ex. $30=1 year of access, $60= 2 years, etc.)

B. The Tournament server could be updated more infrequently. New research, laws, etc. would pass through the Beta server first, Stable second, and Tournament last. Non-paying players who spend time exclusively on the Tournament server would be forced to wait for the latest updates longer than other players. Since we’re all impatient humans and wish to see the “OMG SHINY STUFF” first, this would boost incentive to donate or play on Beta and Stable. (This also has a more logical reason than pure corporate greed. Since the tournament server is the most competitive, there would be less change of bugs and the ilk if things went through both the Beta and Stable servers first.)

C. The “choose your own member title” privilege on the official forums would be revoked for all non-paying players. I saw this happen on another forum that I visit occasionally, and it was pretty successful in getting people to donate.

I like the ideas, but disagree with bits of it... C is a really good idea imo. I say that make stable a non paying thing, while in the tournament can be set with something like you have a tournament with a set of win conditions, and you get a little non game affecting aesthetic ability to change on your stable nation. But to make money, you can choose a free tournament nation (which is a low stat thing) or donate money and get a higher stat starting nation for tournament. that way, stable is not affected by money, (other than an aesthetic thing you can change for bragging rights).

I think either way, C should be implemented. People would pay for something like that.

But to make money, you can choose a free tournament nation (which is a low stat thing) or donate money and get a higher stat starting nation for tournament. that way, stable is not affected by money, (other than an aesthetic thing you can change for bragging rights).

Why should the competitive server be the pay to win server? Explain please, considering that pay to win is only an issue because of competitiveness.

I agree with Stahl completely. Even on point c, despite having no money to donate and liking my title very much. It's a fair and strong incentive.

Edited by Sir Rebrl

I say that make stable a non paying thing, while in the tournament can be set with something like you have a tournament with a set of win conditions, and you get a little non game affecting aesthetic ability to change on your stable nation. But to make money, you can choose a free tournament nation (which is a low stat thing) or donate money and get a higher stat starting nation for tournament. that way, stable is not affected by money, (other than an aesthetic thing you can change for bragging rights).

The whole point of the tournament server is to have a playing area where no one can pay to gain advantages. Stable is the server where people would be able to pay real money for extra land, extra in-game money, faster research times, that sort of thing. It would make little sense to deliberately imbalance the tournament server. I think you fail to understand that the new “Tournament” server will function like how the Stable server functions currently, while the Stable server will be upgraded to a sort of “premium” model with pay to win advantages.

I fail to understand your viewpoint... Stable is what you would want to attract the casual gamer to? Your idea's will be fine for the experianced PT player, but the whole concept of a tournament is to win something. In stable, and in Sandbox, there is no set win conditions. Your idea would have to have two servers, one for free and one for play to win. I personally (and many others in the PT world) would hate to see PT turn into a pay to win game.

My concept of the tournament server is that there are win conditions, and you can pay to be better off to get to those win conditions before a set time limit when things reset. take a look at this thread for more on that. -> http://forum.project-terra.com/index.php?/topic/7458-sandbox-server-future-discussion/

I was thinking something along the lines of giving people aestetic options that they can win in the tournament server, that can be put on the stable server as bragging rights of sorts. This would give people the incentive needed to pay for things, while not making it a pay to win type game.

I fail to see how the average player would benefit from making a tournament server the only way to pay for free.

You can satisfy some of the people all of the time, but you can't satisfy all of the people....ever. Chris just needs to weigh the input he's been given, consider other game models, and make a decision for himself on what he feels is the fairest compromise. No matter what, there will be those screaming how unfair it is, threatening to quit, etc. But, it takes money to run a game, and as Kyber said, there needs to be a constant influx. People don't donate, game can't stay free. People don't receive incentives, they don't donate. Deal with it.

Chris is probably just using this thread to find ideas for what he can do for donation stuff. idk.

I fail to understand your viewpoint... Stable is what you would want to attract the casual gamer to? Your idea's will be fine for the experianced PT player, but the whole concept of a tournament is to win something. In stable, and in Sandbox, there is no set win conditions. Your idea would have to have two servers, one for free and one for play to win. I personally (and many others in the PT world) would hate to see PT turn into a pay to win game.

My concept of the tournament server is that there are win conditions, and you can pay to be better off to get to those win conditions before a set time limit when things reset. take a look at this thread for more on that. -> http://forum.project...ure-discussion/

I was thinking something along the lines of giving people aestetic options that they can win in the tournament server, that can be put on the stable server as bragging rights of sorts. This would give people the incentive needed to pay for things, while not making it a pay to win type game.

I fail to see how the average player would benefit from making a tournament server the only way to play for free.

*Sigh*

Okay, let me try this again.

The reason I called it a TOURNAMENT server is because my idea was based off Cybernations, and they called the competitive server "tournament." There are no set goals for this competitive server, it is simply a server WHERE NO DONATION BENEFITS ARE ALLOWED.

That's all there is.

Under my suggestion, the STABLE server will be converted into a server where donation benefits can be implemented, in order to raise revenue to, you know, actually keep Project Terra running. My idea isn't hard to understand at all.

What's this? A research buff gained by donating?

Big NO NO in my opinion

As a note to everyone, this thread is NOT for discussion of donation benefits that already exist (or are added to the store in the future.) Discuss benefits in the abstract, or in theory, discuss specifics of ways to improve it, change it, and things to add. But do not start arguing or ********ing about things that are in the store. Everything that gets added to the store was carefully considered, and is, for all intents and purposes, a final decision.

As a note to everyone, this thread is NOT for discussion of donation benefits that already exist (or are added to the store in the future.) Discuss benefits in the abstract, or in theory, discuss specifics of ways to improve it, change it, and things to add. But do not start arguing or ********ing about things that are in the store. Everything that gets added to the store was carefully considered, and is, for all intents and purposes, a final decision.

However, if you want to voice your displeasure at something, feel free to make yourself another thread with your arguments. Just make sure you know what's going on before you do.

I would be willing to donate some money in exchange for some aesthetic perks. Maybe by donating you would gain access to new/different military units, these units don't need to be better, just different. I don't know what units game mods are looking at or if we will be buying more modern units after research type deal. But you could make it so that donaters can have access to a different "set" of units. Example if the default "Set" of tank units are different generations of British tanks (WWI Mark I tank, WWII Centurion, Cold War Chieftain, Modern Challenger), buy donating you could gain access to a Soviet "Set" (T-34, T-55, T-62, T-72, T-80, T-90), I know you guys aren't gonna be using those names, but you guys see my point? You could do that with aircraft, and other armored vehicles, maybe even some buildings, like donaters get access to "Wind Farms" or something, you could actually give it lower MW output but get a small bonus to pop hap (green energy) and/or small deductions from disease prev.

Edited by Kamehameha

Lets not discussion semantics. Call it a donation, call it whatever the hell you wish. Its entirely irrelevant to the topic.