Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kruschev1

Pfc. Bradley Manning finally given a trial

21 posts in this topic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/10095544/Bradley-Manning-hero-to-his-followers-enemy-of-the-state-to-others.html

After 3 year in solittary conefinement, Manning gets the trial he is entitled to as an American citizen. The fact that America locked up a hero like him in the first place is stupid. How can everyone turn a blind eye while the man who dared to tell the truth faces possible life in prision.

What exactly makes him a hero?

Doing what the world said is wrong in the name of good intentions

Doing what the world said is wrong in the name of good intentions

By that definition one could call Hitler a hero >_>

As much as Flubb pisses me off, I must agree. Hitler spoke a lot of truth. But unless that justifies killing 6 million jews, I don't see how he was a hero...

Now the wikileaks founder is a different story. He made a website devoted to publicizing leaked govt info. That guy is pretty dope. Manning, for intentionally leaking said info, makes his hero status highly debatable.

I don't think too lowly of him, considering I have many relatives in the military who don't mind sharing questionable things with me, but I don't see how he is a hero. Did he save anyone or anything with his actions?

As much as Flubb pisses me off, I must agree. Hitler spoke a lot of truth. But unless that justifies killing 6 million jews, I don't see how he was a hero...

Now the wikileaks founder is a different story. He made a website devoted to publicizing leaked govt info. That guy is pretty dope. Manning, for intentionally leaking said info, makes his hero status highly debatable.

I don't think too lowly of him, considering I have many relatives in the military who don't mind sharing questionable things with me, but I don't see how he is a hero. Did he save anyone or anything with his actions?

The difference between Manning and Hitler is Manning's actions resulted in no deaths. Exposing information that the public deserved to know, despite the fact those weren't his orders. When he enlisted he swore to uphold and defend the constitution. The way I see it, this is an example of 1st amendment rights.

Edited by Kruschev1

Although he didn't leak anything I consider to be of national security importance, we have classified information for a reason. Intentionally leaking it is a criminal act.

He released a bunch of useless documents and some videos of our soldiers murdering civilians.

I agree, we should have a right to know, but again, this could have been something more vital to homeland security or something.

I still don't see him as a hero.

The difference between Manning and Hitler is Manning's actions resulted in no deaths.

How can you be so certain?

The way I see it, this is an example of 1st amendment rights.

Also, the Supreme Court ruled that "...while military personnel are not excluded from First Amendment protection, the fundamental necessity for obedience, and the consequent necessity for discipline, may render permissible within the military that which would be constitutionally impermissible outside it." 417 U.S. 773 (1974) and "...the rights of men in the armed forces must perforce be conditioned to meet certain overriding demands of discipline and duty." 417 U.S. 773 (1974).

Now, that ruling concerned a separate set of charges and regulations, but the precedent has been set.

How can you be so certain?

White House and DoD reported no one died as a result. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/nov/28/bradley-manning-wikileaks-national-security

Also, the Supreme Court ruled that "...while military personnel are not excluded from First Amendment protection, the fundamental necessity for obedience, and the consequent necessity for discipline, may render permissible within the military that which would be constitutionally impermissible outside it." 417 U.S. 773 (1974) and "...the rights of men in the armed forces must perforce be conditioned to meet certain overriding demands of discipline and duty." 417 U.S. 773 (1974).

Now, that ruling concerned a separate set of charges and regulations, but the precedent has been set.

Thank you. I have not heard of this case till now. I will do some studying of it and get back to that.

He punched a woman in the face. Big hero.

>Implying punching a women makes someone a bad person.

He is a hero of information and freedom against those who wish to deceive and manipulate. 

In a dark corrupt world it is nice to see shining beacons of light every now and again before the darkness destroys it.

The truth is, we can't really ever be certain. It seems fairly widely believed that some of the documents triggered the Arab Spring (just google search "Bradley Manning Arab Spring"), and the Arab Spring did very much result in deaths.

The truth is, we can't really ever be certain. It seems fairly widely believed that some of the documents triggered the Arab Spring (just google search "Bradley Manning Arab Spring"), and the Arab Spring did very much result in deaths.

While many died as a result of the Arab Spring, Many would consider that a positive change for the most part. While there still is some tension is Libya and Egypt, Other countries are doing better than before the protests.

There has been relative stability in the nations of Algeria and Yemen. Despite last year's embassy attack, Libya doesn't hate us. There is less repression in Tunisia.

While many died as a result of the Arab Spring, Many would consider that a positive change for the most part. While there still is some tension is Libya and Egypt, Other countries are doing better than before the protests.

Your claim was "resulted in no deaths." One can argue about whether the outcome of the Arab Spring was good or bad, but it mainly depends on one's perspective. I generally consider people wresting their sovereignty from tyrants to be a good thing, but we really won't know the consequences of these events for years.

Your claim was "resulted in no deaths." One can argue about whether the outcome of the Arab Spring was good or bad, but it mainly depends on one's perspective. I generally consider people wresting their sovereignty from tyrants to be a good thing, but we really won't know the consequences of these events for years.

Dang you made me contradict myself. What I meant when I said no lives lost was American lives as a result of blow-back by our enemies from the leaks. While you could argue the issue in Benghazi was a result of all this, it would be quite far fetched to say the leaks directly resulted in the loss of Ambassador Stevens and 3 other Americans. 

Dang you made me contradict myself. What I meant when I said no lives lost was American lives as a result of blow-back by our enemies from the leaks. While you could argue the issue in Benghazi was a result of all this, it would be quite far fetched to say the leaks directly resulted in the loss of Ambassador Stevens and 3 other Americans.

We'll really only know the consequences of this leak in a few years. People can go around and speculate about what this leak did or didn't do, but the real consequences of any action take time to reveal themselves.

>Implying punching a women makes someone a bad person.

He is a hero of information and freedom against those who wish to deceive and manipulate.

In a dark corrupt world it is nice to see shining beacons of light every now and again before the darkness destroys it.

He's a coward, a weak little nerd who nobody will remember in a year. Hopefully this low life woman beater kills himself at Leavenworth.

Libya is in anarchy. Some people want this, others want that, nobody has control or even influence over the whole nation. Its broken up into its tribes and street gangs who lay claim to this and that. (Anarchy)

Not sure about Algeria, but Yemen has basically been a divided anarchy long before the Arab Spring and still is.

Course, its pretty much 80-90% uninhabitable dessert, so who cares?

Tunisia led this Arab Spring and although there is less represion, their current government is scrambling to handle never ending questions and will probably result in nothing better than as it was before because it is what is convenient for politicians.

Longbowe, nothing. The result of these leaks was and will only be pissed off people.

Its not like he leaked anything of vital importance. Just a bunch of ******** that will piss people off after realizing it was hidden from them.

I suppose we do have to wait and see what the end results will be, but I predict nothing. Nothing except even more distrust of the US government.

This is why the leaks are being demonized by our government. Because such truths create distrust. Too much of that leads to rebellion.

Let him hang.

He did the right thing, but he betrayed, so he'd get what he'd ask for. I thank him for what he did, now lets say goodbye. Obviously I don't think he'd get death penalty (although a decent country would do it, and there's none of them around), but whatever the punishment is for this, let's get'em. 

Again, he did the right thing. But with a necessary consequence. 

Edited by The King