Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reagan

Microsoft Backs Down

28 posts in this topic

UMeJR3f.png

The people spoke and Microsoft listened.  It actually came as a surprise (although it shouldn't have) to learn that the Xbox One will no longer require an internet connection to play games offline or need to check in every 24 hours.  The only time internet will be required will be for the initial setup of the console, in order to allow for the update.  The change in direction means that games will work the same as they have on the Xbox 360.  For disc copies, you will be required to have the disc in the tray to play a game, just as you are now.  But, you can also lend games, trade them, and sell them without restriction.

On the flip side, this also means that some plans, such as the Family Share, Microsoft had in place for Xbox One will have to be scrapped.  Downloaded titles will not be able to be shared or resold.  Under the original umbrella for the Xbox One, users would have been able to share from their library with those who had been on their friends list for at least 30 days and up to 10 family members could play any title in their library, and so forth.

Many fans took to Twitter and other outlets praising the decision, while others cited the move as being one only in response to Sony's advantage in the market, and not based on having the consumer in mind.  While I feel it was the right call, I have to agree with those who feel their trust in Microsoft is shaken after what appears to be having their hand forced and backpeddling.

So, what do you think?  Was this the best decision for the Xbox One?  Does it alter your opinion on which console you prefer?

XBox still sucks. Say I don't have internet at all, that means an XBox one would be completely useless. If everyone had internet, this issue would have never been an issue. So the fact that you still need internet for initial setup is a pretty stupid solution that really isn't a solution.

I must say, this decision doesn't make me prefer XBox even a little bit more.

while others cited the move as being one only in response to Sony's advantage in the market, and not based on having the consumer in mind. 

This is why they changed their policy, Microsoft realized Sony was going to put their console to shame in sales. 

As far as I am concerned, Microsoft is a day late and a dollar short. 

Quew

To get the measures correct this is a half inch step in the correct direction but that is only after they went one hundred million miles in the wrong direction, so even if i was in the market for a new game machine i would not even look at them if they were the only machine on the market...quew.

ok... Who doesn't have internet? I hear all these what ifs, what if the xbox one gets struck by lightning you're telling me it wont work? Cmon guys jesus I could probably play the xbox off my phones internet its so fast.

The one feature I was looking forward to was the sharing with friends feature. Any news whether that is lost?

ok... Who doesn't have internet? I hear all these what ifs, what if the xbox one gets struck by lightning you're telling me it wont work? Cmon guys jesus I could probably play the xbox off my phones internet its so fast.

The one feature I was looking forward to was the sharing with friends feature. Any news whether that is lost?

more people don't have internet then people get struck by lighting. could you believe it!

There are a lot of people without persistent internet, including soldiers stationed in regions where its lacking. The point is that it should be the consumers choice and not something dictated by Microsoft.

But there are those who favored the original plans for the Xbox One, which included friend sharing...a feature that will no longer exist (if I read correctly).

I have no idea where people get their info but the family plan was supposedly not as customer friendly as it seemed without having the full details from Microsoft. 

Potentially under what most of us thought it would work as was having a plan of 10 people who could play all the games of an entire library saving possible hundreds for the gaming group.

Some nice stranger could let others be on his plan which saves them money.

You can see the issue companies who want to sell games would have with that.

In reality it seems it was merely a timed demo for everyone not the primary holder of the game.

And the friend sharing didn't have to be removed.

Edited by Commander shepard

"I have Internet so everyone else obviously has Internet."

That's what I'm seeing in this thread, and it's wholly untrue. There's hundreds of millions - if not billions - of people without Internet and many live in North America. With how I live, there are plenty of times where the *only* form of Internet I have is my phone, and it's not exactly reliable.

Most people outside North America and western Europe use Internet cafés and therefore would be screwed by this if they had an Xbox One. Microsoft truly is the Timex in the digital age here.

Obligatory NES/SNES 4ever.

In reality it seems it was merely a timed demo for everyone not the primary holder of the game.

And the friend sharing didn't have to be removed.

That was another rumor that spread like cancer, but Microsoft tells us it was never the case.  You are right, though; The family/friend sharing didn't have to be removed as a result of the change.  It could have remained an option for those with persistent internet who wanted to take advantage of it.

I'm not so sure if it is a rumor or not.

If groups of people wanted to save money on games then they could easily exploit it and save buying multiple copies of the game, even if they live hundreds of miles apart.

It is hard to imagine something like that in effect, it appears to be even worse than what the developers make used games out to be.

All the other Xbox One policies sucked, but that feature was the odd one out.

Realistically it was not going to be what we thought it was or it was going to be cut, it was cut along with friend's share.

It could have existed along with this new setup but it would work only for games bought off Xbox Live, in other words being optional.

I'm willing to bet it been cut has little to do with the return of what we're used to as it isn't even directly tied to it and both could in theory coexist.

The problem remains with Xbox One that due to the change, internet connection will be required for initial setup.  No biggie for me, but a major issue for those with no internet access at all.  Still, I believe both will be good consoles and it will be interesting to see how well they perform once there are millions of each on the market.

Below is an updated non-biased comparison:

MLPe57O.png

Quew

huh wireless controller not my cup of tea.

Did i read that correctly that you need to pay a subscription just to use these things?

Did i read that wrong and that is just for some online service or did i read that correctly and they have a yearly fee just to make use of the game machine?...quew.

Edited by Quew

quew, if you would like to play online with other people you need a subscription.you can buy wired controllers as well

Quew

na i already pay for my internet connection i do not need to be buying another thing that would allow me to do the same thing i do now but with less flexability and another fee i am sure at some point they are going to start needing updates to the programming and then unless thouse updates come packaged with the games you buy it is going to make it rather hard to play decently, not to intrested in a machine that is made to data mine you so that the company can sell that information to other companies or governments not a big fan of the big brother style of game machines got to much of that already on the computer.

But anyway thanks King for clearing that up, here i was thinking cyber feudalism was going to start with these game machines, i just wonder when they will actually try to make you pay an ongoing fee for haveing one of these things...quew.

Yeah, both Sony and Microsoft will require subscriptions for online play.  However, Sony will not require the subscription to access media (such as Netflix, etc) and Microsoft will.

All in all, I don't think Xbox sucks.  I think it will have more capability with its online experience due to the number of servers, the new Smart Match matchmaking system, and so forth.  In terms of raw power...Sony is the winner hands down.  But, it will be some time before publishers maximize the potential of these machines and I don't think there will be a very noticeable difference in load times or game play. 

I've decided to wait it out a few months after release and see which one seems to be providing the better experience with fewer problems.  I won't be able to afford it in November anyway.

The free playstation network was one of my favorite features. :(

The biggest reason I prefer PS is the game selection.

There's a possibility that this was one massive PR stunt on Microsoft's part to make it look like they listen to their customers... 

Yeah, both Sony and Microsoft will require subscriptions for online play.  However, Sony will not require the subscription to access media (such as Netflix, etc) and Microsoft will.

Sony also won't require subscriptions for free-to-play games like XBL does.

Read it...all of it, and watched the PS4 video.  It's a very insightful, realistic, and thought provoking article.  But, it only proves they all use the same tactics as any other company to sell their products.  Clothing, for instance....every time you pick up a flyer or see an ad on tv, it's going to be people wearing the clothes who would look good even if they were dressed in my dirty laundry from 5 years ago...but the message is "look how great you will look in these clothes!".  Of course Microsoft and Sony aren't going to create ads and videos showing people in cramped up spaces trying to use their hardware, or a video where a friend invites someone to join a game and he replies "sorry, i can't afford to download it and it would take an hour to download anyway."  Although it's completely true, it would be stupid advertising.

Now, the biggest factor (for me) in this console war is "the cloud".  Many of the new games are being developed to utilize cloud share services and that seems to be the push of this next generation...more interactivity, etc.  While Sony hasn't shown any exact numbers or even offered vague information on how they will be able to take advantage of (and keep up with) the cloud demand, Microsoft is putting all their chips on the table to ensure Xbox One gamers get the experience that's being advertised.  The article below is well worth the read.

Let's Talk About the XBox Live Cloud (by Jon Shiring, Respawn Entertainment)