Strigon

Growth rate?

22 posts in this topic

So i have been watching peoples growth rates compared to their population, and things just arent adding up.

People, such as Gandalf, a with lower displayed growth rate then me appear to actually be growing faster. Just thismorning he was below me in population ranking and now somehow he is above me. He went from the bottom of page 2 to the top in less then a day, even though he should have a slower growth rate then me.
At one day old, with his growth rate, he shouldnt possibly be able to have that many citizens. Something is definitely wrong.
Im very close to starting a spreadsheet to keep track of it, with screenshots and whatnot as proof.

Kadin jumped to 560k, likely because he bought a third city. *he upgraded his second

Edited by Strigon

Is he older than you? The game only measures age in days but if he made his nation 4-6 hours before you that would account for the additional population.

I believe he is younger then me. Ive been watching his nation all day and its been "1 day old", meaning he cant be more then a few hours off from me. Thats not long enough to account for the extra population.

Haven't done the math so maybe a real crapshoot guess here, but maybe he took a measure that grew it faster while you weren't looking and after it grew it slowed down afterwards?

Haven't done the math so maybe a real crapshoot guess here, but maybe he took a measure that grew it faster while you weren't looking and after it grew it slowed down afterwards?

Not a chance. Ive been on all day :I

Theres nothing you can do to spike your growth rate to the 6k daily it would need to be for that to happen.

I have had a higher growth rate this entire time, and while he has gone from the bottom to the top of the page, ive dropped down to the bottom. It makes no sense.

Kadin did not buy a "third city". He upgraded his first city, not the Capital. Before claiming impossible growth and hacks you should probably understand the game mechanics, lets not point fingers. Viewing the 'Nations' page, it views the population of the nations the last time someone looked at that very nation. It doesn't update unless that happens. So if Gandalf didnt login and noone looked at his account for a whole day the next time he logged in he "grew" significantly. When really that's exactly where he should be.

You can test this by viewing the nations page, and selecting a random nation and open that nation in a new tab. Compare and see the magic! While I haven't looked at Gandalfs nation it is possible he purchased another city.

Hope this helps and no witch hunts please!!

Cheers,

Zukran

Kadin did not buy a "third city". He upgraded his first city, not the Capital. Before claiming impossible growth and hacks you should probably understand the game mechanics, lets not point fingers. Viewing the 'Nations' page, it views the population of the nations the last time someone looked at that very nation. It doesn't update unless that happens. So if Gandalf didnt login and noone looked at his account for a whole day the next time he logged in he "grew" significantly. When really that's exactly where he should be.

You can test this by viewing the nations page, and selecting a random nation and open that nation in a new tab. Compare and see the magic! While I haven't looked at Gandalfs nation it is possible he purchased another city.

Hope this helps and no witch hunts please!!

Cheers,

Zukran

At absolutelly no point in time did i claim "impossible growth and hacks" and id appreciate it if you didnt shove words in my mouth c:

I figured out that Kadin upgraded his second city shortly after making that post and didnt feel like updating it.

And your explanation still doesnt explain how he could have grown faster then me when he has a smaller growth rate.

He started off with less land and a smaller growth rate, and he still has less land and a smaller growth rate, but somehow more total population.

Now, i am not pointing fingers here. I have not claimed anything to be responsible for this. I am simply pointing out facts in an attempt to try to find why its happening.

At absolutelly no point in time did i claim "impossible growth and hacks" and id appreciate it if you didnt shove words in my mouth c:

I figured out that Kadin upgraded his second city shortly after making that post and didnt feel like updating it.

And your explanation still doesnt explain how he could have grown faster then me when he has a smaller growth rate.

He started off with less land and a smaller growth rate, and he still has less land and a smaller growth rate, but somehow more total population.

Now, i am not pointing fingers here. I have not claimed anything to be responsible for this. I am simply pointing out facts in an attempt to try to find why its happening.

I fully agree, i feel like something is definitely wrong. However i am aware it could be just i don't understand the game mechanics. I have the fastest growth rate yet somehow nations are starting to jump in size of population disptie having a much smaller and sometime significant smaller growth rates... so could this be accounted for simply upgrading your second city? 

I fully agree, i feel like something is definitely wrong. However i am aware it could be just i don't understand the game mechanics. I have the fastest growth rate yet somehow nations are starting to jump in size of population disptie having a much smaller and sometime significant smaller growth rates... so could this be accounted for simply upgrading your second city? 

Buying a third city nets 10,000 instant growth, but costs 400m, so thats out of the question.

Upgrading your second city nets 40,000 increase in pop, and only costs 100m, but the 3k of each resource can be hefty.

Given the available combination of ways to increase population, i have no idea how Zukran (currently 534k@4.9k daily) could have so much pop.

Even at his peak growth rate, it would take him nearly 5 days(4.9) to get there.

This is assuming that he bought a city at the start so...

start-510k

finish-534k

=net gain-24k

assuming a liberal 4.9k daily growth (his current peak, so keep in mind it should be lower)

24k divided by 4.9k daily= 4.9 days (rounded up by .0021)

His nation is currently listed as 3 days old, given leniency on how that relates to actual time alive, id say he can be no more then 3.9 days old in reality.

So there is definitely a bug in the population growth rate, or a funky mechanic and the game is displaying botched stats and the population growth rate is a lie. Its subtle, but its there.

It would be nice if, for debugging purposes, the game displayed the time of nation creation so i could refine those numbers.

Well with upgrade of your city I cant really compare. What I can tell you is that he did put more money into clinics increasing his life expectancy and decreasing his  disease prevelancy which in return results in increased population but a decrease in income. His overall happiness is higher as well, increasing the amount of population per day. You do have more land but the amount that it increases growth rate levels off at a certain point determined by your actual population. 

I can assure you there is no bug. I purchased a second city already. Which accommodates for that extra 10k population. If there was a bug I would have noticed it and reported it long ago. 

Any more questions or concerns lemme hear it!

-Zukran

Edited by Zukran

Gandalfs nation is older than yours Strigon. While it only displays days is 1, 2, 3 days. If you go to the nations page and organize by age. That will organize all nations by creation date. His was created before yours.

That should debunk this guy too.

Zukran

Gandalfs nation is older than yours Strigon. While it only displays days is 1, 2, 3 days. If you go to the nations page and organize by age. That will organize all nations by creation date. His was created before yours.

That should debunk this guy too.

Zukran

I feel like you arent listening to me at all. I literally did a whole bunch of math in my previous post that you decided to ignore.

Yes, his is older then mine. However:

with his nation age, his current population is impossible.

his growth rate has never been higher then mine at any point in time, yet he started with less population.

I dont know if you dont like reading or just read the things you want to hear, but its getting annoying :I

If you are trolling on purpose, id like to ask you to stop.

I feel like you arent listening to me at all. I literally did a whole bunch of math in my previous post that you decided to ignore.

Yes, his is older then mine. However:

with his nation age, his current population is impossible.his growth rate has never been higher then mine at any point in time, yet he started with less population.

I dont know if you dont like reading or just read the things you want to hear, but its getting annoying :I

If you are trolling on purpose, id like to ask you to stop.

I don't understand. Every one starts with 500k population. Was the math not for my nation of which I explained how I have that amount? I apologize but you are confusing me.

I don't understand. Every one starts with 500k population. Was the math not for my nation of which I explained how I have that amount? I apologize but you are confusing me.

No, the math wasnt for your nation. If you would actually read, the math is about gandalfs nation.

I have explained it to you several times, and wont explain it again. Now can you please get out of my thread.

Strigon, the post in which you did a "whole bunch of math" http://forum.project-terra.com/index.php?/topic/9572-growth-rate/?p=105739

Given the available combination of ways to increase population, i have no idea how Zukran (currently 534k@4.9k daily) could have so much pop.
Even at his peak growth rate, it would take him nearly 5 days(4.9) to get there.

(emphasis my own, obviously.) You stated the math was about Zukran's nation, thus his response and subsequent confusion, are entirely understandable. Now let's stay civil and not start throwing insults around. 

Must have been an oversight >_>
Regardless, the point stands. I have seen this happen several other times aswell, where someone with less displayed growth rate that is below me in population ranking somehow ends up above me (by a margin small enough that it must be natural growth)

I'll look into the growth rates, see if I can verify what you're seeing. I've just gotten back, so bear with me. 

I'll look into the growth rates, see if I can verify what you're seeing. I've just gotten back, so bear with me. 

Take your time c:

Because you population needs land to live on. You try jamming 500,000 people on to your 111km of land, then obviously they'd rather move to a place that offers more living space.

Your people need land to farm and live on. Simple as that.

If you don't believe me, then don't do it.

But everyone else will tell you the same exact thing.

As someone who played back when this game was fully functional, Id like to think I know what Im talking about.

I can give you NPOs old start up guide from Alpha if you'd like.

http://naopt.forumotion.com/t20-npo-public-startup-guide

Or there's this:

http://forum.project-terra.com/index.php?/topic/9685-what-you-need-to-know-basic-startup-guide/

Edited by Fox Fire