Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thafoo

Local Government System

3 posts in this topic

Originally suggested by Divair, I'm fleshing it out... What if we had a system of local governments? Like, states, provinces? It would be easier to file cities into certain states, possibly if you wanted a group of cities in one local government to be in one batch, and a different group in a different batch... and also, the local governments would have their respective seats in your government- take the original parliament and divide it into who's from what state. And possibly, the local governments would pass their own laws, to a degree, though that would probably be hard to make.

And yes, I'm aware it'd all be hard to make. It'd be pretty cool, though, which is why I'm suggesting it. But yeah.

I personally like the idea but what if you could tell them which laws they can and can't pass? (like not being able to legalise slavery, or being able to pass the Free Speech Act, within a state)

Great idea! W.r.t not allowing a state to pass certain laws. Why not have the option of a constitutional law that the federal/national government can pass that basically overrules any state law once the federal government passes a law on the subject

Eg: State A has legalised slavery, if the federal government bans slavery, State A automatically and immediately bans slavery as well but If the federal government hasn't legislated on slavery, State A can do what it wants

State B permits same sex marriage but the federal government bans same sex marriage, State B automatically and immediately bans same sex marriage but If the federal government hasn't legislated on same sex marriage, State B can do what it wants

Edited by David Neibig