SirWinkler

Law Suggestions Thread

41 posts in this topic

Quoth the Hannibal:

Also, just as a note laws will be added over time. Rhyme framework will be coded by the developers but don't expect to immediately see lots of laws to add. They'll be added more slowly.

Btw, players should feel free to suggest laws to be added, and what type of effects they think they should have.

I figured it would be in the best interest of the forums to have a master list of law suggestions thread, as to avoid some clutter and make it easier for the mods/devs to read through (instead of having to go through 800 threads).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: A request from Jester - When you propose your law, please use the following guide:

When suggesting laws, please adhere to the following guidelines.

Provide a title, and a short description of the intended thematic effect.

State whether it should be very/somewhat/slightly/not-at-all difficult to pass.

Choose 3 of the following stats to effect, with effects being described on a scale of -3 to 3. The negative end of the scale is representing a bad effect on your nation (a drop in happiness, a rise in crime) and the positive end of the scale is representing a good effect on your nation (a drop in disease rate, a rise in literacy). -3 is a severe negative effect, -2 moderate, -1 slight. 3 is a severe positive effect, 2 moderate and 1 slight. 

Literacy Rate

Unemployment Rate

Life Expectancy

Disease Rate

Crime Rate

Power Consumption

Happiness

Immigration Rate

Birth Rate

Death Rate

Income 

Please do not list percentage changes, and do not suggest effects that affect anything other than the stats listed above. Further options for laws may be coded into the game in future, but for the time being the only things they affect are the stats above. 

Also, please note that suggestions in this thread will be taken as inspiration and for reasons of realism and fairness we reserve the right not to copy them precisely as suggested here.

Jester

Edited by SirWinkler

More law suggestions!

National Curfew: Passes into law a national curfew for your citizens - nobody is allowed out after a certain hour at night in order to deter crime. Effects: Crime decreases at the cost of some company income (for lost business operations at night) and citizen happiness.

Recycling Mandate: Citizens are required to recycle whatever they can in order to reduce landfill waste and pollution. In order to encourage citizens to recycle, the government pays its citizens when they recycle. Effects: Decreases pollution, requires a certain amount of energy to be allocated to recycling facilities, adds a cost to the treasury in order to pay citizens for recycling.

Voter Information Act: Allows the citizens of your country access to records of their politicians at the voting booth itself in order to allow them to make smart voting decisions. Effects: Citizens will vote for parties who oppose harsh/bad laws more than before and likewise vote less often for parties who promote such laws being passed. (I realize this would likely require a running total of which parties voted on which bills that are introduced; I'm not sure if this is possible or planned on being implemented.)

Just a few I had on my mind today. I'd love to hear what some more PT folks have to offer with respect to laws.

Edited by SirWinkler

Environmental Protection Mandate: Basic environmental awareness taught in schools, and companies become aware of polluting behaviors, and reduce them. Effects: Pollution goes down, but citizens are opposed to burning fossil fuels, and will not like a government who does. (I realize that the ability to research clean/alternate energy sources will be needed)

Legalization of Marijuana Act: Legalizes the recreational use of Marijuana. Effects: Just what it says.

Marijuana Tax Act: Places a 10% sales tax on all Marijuana sales. Effects: New source of government revenue.

STEM Act: Passes a law increasing government funding for the sciences, technologies, engineering, and mathematics programs in schools across your nation. Effects: (short-term): Increase in government expenditures to schools. (long-term):Income increases for your nation over time, up to a certain amount, as citizens get higher-paying jobs.

STEM Act: Passes a law increasing government funding for the sciences, technologies, engineering, and mathematics programs in schools across your nation. Effects: (short-term): Increase in government expenditures to schools. (long-term):Income increases for your nation over time, up to a certain amount, as citizens get higher-paying jobs.

This should also give a long term boost to research.

Edited by Tanocraft

One Party rule: Basically your political party gains controls in the elections by outlawing another political party.

Hello new here but thought I might as well contribute.  Sorry if these ideas have already been dealt with or were part of the previous Alpha release.

First are mostly company related and could be pointless depending on the roles companies play within the game.

I think it would be neat to be able to enact certain laws for a temporary time period.

Corporate trade import tariffs.  Basically the idea would be an import tax.  Usually this would be done on the corporate level but not really sure what the future plans are for companies in the game nor how that works with the game thus far.  This would add to income, provide a production boost (or boost the local economy) and lower unemployment.  Downsides could be decreased foreign investment (lower auto-found of companies), lower research rates.  This could be one of those things that could strengthen a players nation while weakening others but could also have the reverse effect.  But again this is highly dependent on the role companies play.

Trade embargo on X product to Y nation.  Basically certain products (tech, weapons, resources, information) are not sold to a nation or all nations.  Benefits mostly consist in weakening other nations but could be increased research and downsides could be reduced profits due to smaller market.

Tax incentives.  This could be affect all companies or specific types like services etc.  higher auto found rate.  lower tax income due to respective newly founded companies, lower unemployment.

A budget would be nice

Property taxes personal.  increase in tax income, decrease in happiness, decrease in pop growth

property taxes company.  Increase in tax income, decrease in auto-found rate.  (if too high companies might just leave if they are private)

Tax on X item (real world this would be like gas, tobacco products, alcohol etc.)  Inc in tax income, decrease in happiness, decrease in auto-found (very small), Possible decrease or increase in health, production, services, etc. depending on product)

Social laws.

Citizenship laws.  1) citizens right  1a:  right to education (maybe free, maybe not).  Higher literacy rate, higher crime rate (I'm not saying immigrants are criminals, I'm thinking more poverty and desperation due to lack of education as cause of crime, not trying to offend anyone), decrease to immigration rate  1b:  right to property.  increase happiness, increase in fire services cost.  [These laws could be vary numerous delineating such things as right to vote, University (maybe free maybe not), healthcare, even driving.  Basic ideas are laws that establish a citizen and the benefits however maybe there are no benefits.

2) paths to citizenship:  2a:  citizenship through armed service, boost to number of available unit recruitment, boost to immigration rate.  increase in cost of services, such as teachers, clinics, hospitals etc.  2b:  Citizenship through employment.  Increase in unemployed, boost to immigration rate. Increase to cost of services.

2b:  Citizenship through payment (I think Malta was doing this for a while though don't remember)  Increase in income, decrease in unemployment (I would assume it would cost a great deal of money to buy citizenship so they would most likely have enough to not worry about working, could be different though, maybe 100 bucks buys them citizenship.  Would be interesting to be able to play with the cost)  increase in cost of services, increase in taxable income.

Immigration.   1 immigration incentives.  increase in unemployment, decrease in happiness(could tie this in with past similar laws, if it is the first time this law is passed people might be upset, if it is the second not so much)  increase in cost of services.  2 Immigration tax, increase in tax income, decrease in immigration rate, decrease in pop(small)

Privatize x company. Make x public company private. 1a: sale of x company: increase in available income. Removal of companies profits from income, temp decrease to companies profits, thus companies contribution to taxes. 1b: Partial sale of x company: Increase in available income, decrease in taxable profits from the company.

Make x company public. 1a: buy x company. Companies profits are added to income (temporaraly lowered a little), decrease in auto-found, 1b: Theft of x company. Make company public without buying it. Decrease in auto-found, decrease in profits (long term), [possible benefits could be increase in happiness, immediate addition of company assets to income, one days profits added to income without waiting for a day.]

That's all I have for now, I could probably go one but I am unsure how feasible even these are considering they can have complex outcomes and I am not sure how they can work with everything else.

Edited by ascanius

I think maybe another type of "Homeless Person Repurposing Act" would be nice. Instead of the original Act saying you turn all homeless people into biofuel to power your city which is an immoral law, why not revise or make a similar law that requires all Homeless People to serve in the military.

Homeless/Unemployed Person Selective Service Act: Forces all Homeless and unemployed people in the country to join the military. Effects: Lowers unemployment/homelessness rating in the country. Possibly having a slight effect on disease rate or happiness rating as well. Also lowers crime rate by 2%.
 Could also be a cheaper way of hiring more soldiers for your military for poorer countries once the war screen is back up. (Like Conscription back in the old days). This should only be an option though if your unemployment is at 10% this way people get a choice, do they want to go for "autofound" of companies for their economy, or boost their military by conscripting the unemployed and homeless.

This way people don't feel like they have to commit genocide by liquefying the homeless into biofuels. Especially if there are plans to implement Green energy sources and pollution awareness into the game. If that's the case it would be unadvisable to turn people into fuel as that is eliminating a potential source of tax income for your nation.

Also   I've been thinking that if the original Homeless Person Repurposing Act is going to stay that it should have the following impact on your nation: Unemployment /homeless rating drops to 0%, population happiness also drops 5-10%, Crime rate would rise 5% (as undoubtedly there would be humanitarian protests against turning people in to fuel). This should also have negative effects on the economy, possibly by showing a loss in net income or it would reduce a nations growth rate by a few percent.

My suggested law instead of the Homeless Person Repurposing Act is:

Homeless/Unemployed Person Selective Service Act: Forces all Homeless and unemployed people in the country to join the military. Effects: Lowers unemployment/homelessness rating in the country. Possibly having a slight effect on reducing disease prevalence or  increasing population happiness rating as well. Also lowers crime rate by 2%. It could also be a cheaper way of hiring more soldiers for your military for poorer countries once the war screen is back up. (Like Conscription back in the old days). This should only be an option though if your unemployment is at 10% this way people get a choice, do they want to go for "autofound" of companies for their economy, or boost their military by conscripting the unemployed and homeless.

This way people don't feel like they have to commit genocide by liquefying the homeless into biofuels. Especially if there are plans to implement Green energy sources and pollution awareness into the game. If that's the case it would be unadvisable to turn people into fuel as that is eliminating a potential source of tax income for your nation.

Sorry for all the cross outs. I didn't like the way I originally typed the post so I switched it around. If its too confusing to read just let me know.  Hope it makes sense though.

Edited by Joediplomat

Maybe we should chill out on law suggestions until Chris adds what's already there. There's quite a lot.

I am not suggesting any laws so far, but it occurs to me after my party refused to pass a criminal code (which I find rather stupid). That some laws should pass automatically if they are objectively in a nations best interest. All the crazy laws and the ones that are more controversial in real life make sense if they'd fail, even the less controversial ones would make sense. But ones that establish a basic order? It kind of makes little sense. This is just what makes sense to me, that certain laws kind of should be impossible not to pass, like in real life.

I too agree. Some laws are just so basic that its almost ridiculous when they fail. (like the Basic Criminal Code, etc.)

But still everything is going smooth and the game is still as good as ever.

Actually, depending on your view point, a criminal code is not in the best interests of the country. Thus you need to have the support of your population to elect a government that will support the laws you propose.

I'm curious. Does the "E-democracy" law mean your government becomes obsolete? And if it does and the population does decide on what laws are passed, does it just rely on population happiness or is it not that involved yet.

I'm curious. Does the "E-democracy" law mean your government becomes obsolete? And if it does and the population does decide on what laws are passed, does it just rely on population happiness or is it not that involved yet.

I assume that would be the law that would make your country a direct democracy, like the totalitarian one would make your country an autocracy, but Desmo said only republic exists for now, so it's best not to try it out.

Actually, depending on your view point, a criminal code is not in the best interests of the country. Thus you need to have the support of your population to elect a government that will support the laws you propose.

You do have a point, but most people would probably want stability and security- especially if it comes at little to no change in liberty of the citizens. People have become upset in the past at the law being arbitrary; and if I am not mistaken wasn't this part of the reason why the American revolution started.

To me a criminal code represents a certain amount of security and stability for your nation, and liberty from arbitrary treatment.

All "laws" are in name only -- they have effects on the stats of your nation, but they do not change your government type. Changing your government type will be done separately, on the Government page instead of the Laws page.

That's interesting.

I ask because I'm only curious to see how things are going to work. I like whats being done so far. Won't catch me complaining.

One note: you may find that, once government types are released, certain laws (The E-Democracy act likely among them) will have a government type prerequisite assigned to them. The current (tentative) plan is to have those laws disabled (not deleted) once you change to a non-compatible type, and re-enabled when/if you change back.

One note: you may find that, once government types are released, certain laws (The E-Democracy act likely among them) will have a government type prerequisite assigned to them. The current (tentative) plan is to have those laws disabled (not deleted) once you change to a non-compatible type, and re-enabled when/if you change back.

Cool. I look forward to these new developments.

Well, I might as well think about law suggestions I might be able to make. Just need to find good ideas, and work on them.

Edited by sum sine regno

You do have a point, but most people would probably want stability and security- especially if it comes at little to no change in liberty of the citizens. People have become upset in the past at the law being arbitrary; and if I am not mistaken wasn't this part of the reason why the American revolution started.

To me a criminal code represents a certain amount of security and stability for your nation, and liberty from arbitrary treatment.

There is a whole area of the political spectrum devoted to those who think any level of Government or control is not in the best interests of the people. Therefore, implementing a whole raft of basic criminal laws would go against what they believe to be a good idea.

All "laws" are in name only -- they have effects on the stats of your nation, but they do not change your government type. Changing your government type will be done separately, on the Government page instead of the Laws page.

Speaking of effects on stats, will we see those listed in descriptions soon?

There is a whole area of the political spectrum devoted to those who think any level of Government or control is not in the best interests of the people. Therefore, implementing a whole raft of basic criminal laws would go against what they believe to be a good idea.

Yes.But many of then people on that spectrum believe in a "Nightwatchman State" which would include such things. But you are correct, there are people who believe in having almost none to no government at all. Anyways, I am going to see if I can't get any good ideas for actual law suggestions.

[18:13] <WirWar> I would like to see a mandatory beard law. It will increase you nation's manliness and increase the migration of real women to your nation

[18:13] <RagnarBuliwyf> ^

[18:13] <RagnarBuliwyf> Chris

[18:14] <RagnarBuliwyf> The public have spoken

[18:14] <@Chris> Bother Jester