Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ascanius

Reserve banks

9 posts in this topic

I doubt this idea is even possible but I think it would allow some interesting game play to develop.

This may have been touched upon in another thread not sure, sorry if it was.

My idea is to allow the creation of National reserve banks (not alliance run but individual) that can lend to other nations for a fixed(or variable maybe based on trade spheres or something) interest rate.  The nation deposits an amount of money into the bank that is available to other countries to borrow.  The interest rate + 1% of total debt can be automatically deducteted from the income until the borrower finishes paying off the total amount borrowed, The borrower can choose to increase this amount 1% ==> 5% or whatever to pay it off faster. 

the other part is letting nations have the ability to call in a debt whenever they want and the borrower has x amount of time to pay off the debt, or the borrower could choose not to pay off the debt.  If these two situations occur they can declare war to recup the debt, but each would have to be careful to see if it is worth it.  That and other countries may choose to no longer lend or borrow from that country.

I think this idea would be cool to see simply do to it's possible influence on warfare, international relations, and alliance relations. 

Edited by ascanius

I do find that idea interesting, but not at the national level. I think an alliance bank would lend itself more to influencing warfare and such.

I think this would work for both however by allowing it to happen at the national level it also creates a reserve currency. I guess the same could be said about the alliance. I think it would be nice to have this happen at both levels simply because it allows none alliance players to participate. That and it allows the dynamics that are currently in play in the real world such as the EU (alliance) And the U.S.A or China. Also it keeps individual players viable (newbs and veterans) it levels the playing field in the sort term to some small degree. I don't really think certain gameplay aspects should be restricted to only appliance members, they already benefit both economically and strategically I think it would be cool to see an underdog try to reach the same levels.

One other thing. It is probably a good idea to remove the peace mode of both nations to prevent a borrowing nation from deciding not to pay back the lone while preventing another nation from seeking recompense.

Edited by ascanius

There was a World Bank with a similar idea in Alpha. It's just not implemented in Beta yet.

One of its huge flaws was that, after a while, everyone had such large incomes/day that it became pointless to take out loans. The loan rate was ridiculously low since people just used it to invest excess cash...

I think having it based off the individual nations might help because things like GDP, war status, growth rate can be used to calculate the intrest rate along with trade spheres. Second ability to call in debts and or default will create risk along with potential Long term gain. Hell the player could even decide intrest rates the same way the choose the price of goods.

I think the thing that might also help is having different currency values based off GDP and economic power ( the whole $1.30 = 1 euro thing). It would be a great way to fight the exponential inflation seen with land prices and other things if the value is based off land price of one km at the very start of the game or some other criteria. Also such value can change depending on a variety of factors.

The other thing is this would also allow newbs to catch up to the older countries.

The idea would have to be long term investment with the goal of purchasing land in the long term

Great job everyone who is working on the game, if my programming skills were better I would offer to help.

To emphasize on what SirWinkler said, the World Bank was basically the same thing as what you are proposing, except that it was on a worldwide scale, not alliance or national based. Players could invest money in it or withdraw money from it, almost like a checking account of sorts. You can collect interest by investing money in the Bank, or pay interest for money borrowed from the Bank. The interests were ridiculously low, however.

i like the idea of allowing national currencies and/or banks...i think it'd add a really cool dimension to the game, although at this point, im sure the dev team is pounding their heads at suggestions like this ha :P