Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Obongo The Mighty

Laws - Some Questions, Experiences, and Recomendations

7 posts in this topic

Laws are fun, and cost a precious amount of time for the chance to pass each. There's a lot of them, too, and it would probably take the better half of a year to pass them all, which leads to a question I've been having but have not tested myself: Can a nation pass "conflicting" laws? For example, if I passed a law that made my government run by Christian principles, could I then pass a law that makes it run by Jewish principles, then Norse principles, etc, without them cancelling eachother out?

Additionally, what have peoples' statistical experiences been with these laws? Perhaps it would be too much to give actual stated benefits to laws (like "Raises immigration rate by .10%) because then people would cherry-pick and the other laws would just remain for RP purposes. I've noticed that the Freedom of Religion act raised my immigration rate by .10%, for example.

I have been wondering the same thing, to an extent.

I'm considering passing the Indentured Servitude Act but I'm not sure it would conflict with the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Naturally, my country's leader doesn't feel the former violates the latter in any way. ;)

My experience with the laws has been fairly consistent so far, in that most of them did what I expected. I could not however detect any change whatsoever from having established an inheritance tax. Also, adopting a Basic Civil Rights Act affected my immigration more than it did my population happiness. Perhaps my people are just racist bastards.

Currently, I believe that the game "learns" from the laws you pass, in a way. If you typically pass laws that tend to be on one side of the political spectrum, then, pass a law that is on the opposite side of the spectrum, it somehow affects your nation negatively. I believe I read a post by a mod stating that Chris eventually plans to make it so that if you pass a certain law, the "opposite" laws disappear, if that makes sense.

IIRC (and i could be wrong), i believe that as you pass laws on one side of the spectrum (totalitarian vs. libertarian), it becomes easier to pass more laws that fit along that side of the spectrum, and harder to pass laws that fit on the opposite side...

Nice replies, everyone. Interesting stuff.

Also, passed the Sexytime Act (uwaah~). My birth rate went up... By a whole .05, and that translated into a whole 4 more people being born per day.

Nice replies, everyone. Interesting stuff.

Also, passed the Sexytime Act (uwaah~). My birth rate went up... By a whole .05, and that translated into a whole 4 more people being born per day.

did your happiness go up?

did your happiness go up?

Well it was around 55%, which was up about 5% more than usual, but it's back down to 49% now. I guess compulsory sex isn't the best thing in the world after the first night.

But Huxley made it look so good on paper. ;_;