Ahovking

Anyone buying Food and Energy Resources?

17 posts in this topic

So apart from Construction Resources which everyone buys, does anyone actually buys Food and Energy Resources?

Supposedly in the future, there will be a benefit to giving your citizens more than one type of food. 

And (this is current) there is a benefit, if your nation is rich enough, to buying natural gas power stations since they create the most amount of energy per resource.

But overall I'm not sure if we're at either of these points yet, so I doubt much trade is going on.

Supposedly in the future, there will be a benefit to giving your citizens more than one type of food. 

And (this is current) there is a benefit, if your nation is rich enough, to buying natural gas power stations since they create the most amount of energy per resource.

But overall I'm not sure if we're at either of these points yet, so I doubt much trade is going on.

I'd assume eventually everyone would go to nuclear or solar plants since the only cost for the them was the massive startup costs IIRC.

So apart from Construction Resources which everyone buys, does anyone actually buys Food and Energy Resources?

I admit I play the market from time to time. I buy in bulk whenever I can and sell if it goes crazy. I distribute a lot of food and fuel resources so I won't have to worry about the future. To answer your question, yes - otherwise why have a market? Activity ebbs and flows so if you're trying to play the market to make bank, don't expect it to the the move like the NYSE.

The Honorable Schmellabüt's International Market Predictions: Buy lots and lots of wheat - I'll make more!

You do know you get diminishing returns on energy and food logistics, right?

You do know you get diminishing returns on energy and food logistics, right?

No I did not; could you elaborate?

No I did not; could you elaborate?

I'm not sure on the exact figures, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. S say you're at 0 days currently for food. You put in like, 3000 food, which at that time is worth about 7 days. You then put in another 3000 food, but this time, it only gives you another 3 days worth. That's how it works, for some reason, probably to stop you from just putting in hundreds of thousands of units.

In PT 2.0 we noticed that it worked this way significantly for food to the point of when you get around 30 days worth, even adding like 30000 units only gave you an extra 2 days or so. It also seems to do the same with electricity, but not nearly as severely. 

Infrastructure/construction, however, doesn't seem to follow that. For example, I have like 5 months worth of logistics saved up for construction. It'd take me hundreds of thousands of food units to save that much up.

Sorry for the really awkward and wordy explanation, I just got back from work.

Food usage per day increases daily as your population grows. The calculation of the number of days' supplies you have probably takes that into account.

Energy shouldn't have that effect, since energy usage only increases as you build new buildings. Same for infrastructure.

Food usage per day increases daily as your population grows. The calculation of the number of days' supplies you have probably takes that into account.

Energy shouldn't have that effect, since energy usage only increases as you build new buildings. Same for infrastructure.

You misunderstood what I'm describing. Obviously that is a factor that affects food logistics, but it's not anywhere near what I'm talking about.

Basically, you can submit 30,000 food resources and get like 30 days, then submit another 30,000 a few seconds after that's accepted, and only get like 10 days out of it. With energy, it'd be more like 30 days and then 20 days. But with infra it's like 30 days and then another 30 days.

I'll get back to you on this I guess after I run some tests when my logistics run out.

Edited by dane0

Can't say I ever noticed it. Please let us know if it seems cumulative or if they're done within a particular time frame.

I'm not sure on the exact figures, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. S say you're at 0 days currently for food. You put in like, 3000 food, which at that time is worth about 7 days. You then put in another 3000 food, but this time, it only gives you another 3 days worth. That's how it works, for some reason, probably to stop you from just putting in hundreds of thousands of units.

In PT 2.0 we noticed that it worked this way significantly for food to the point of when you get around 30 days worth, even adding like 30000 units only gave you an extra 2 days or so. It also seems to do the same with electricity, but not nearly as severely. 

Not so much, no. Not how it works at all.

Each unit of food counts as a full unit of food, no matter how much food you already have applied to logistics.

correct me if im wrong... but wouldn't the Oil Burning power plants be the most efficient use of funds(at this current time.) based on the resource amount needed to produce it, and the Cost per additional MW. i mean... adding 50m, and getting 100 MW, is good, but then the next step up, which is another 100m and only getting 50 MW seems ineffcient. the Cost per MW seems to go up too much...

instead of paying 300m for 400 MW, you could pay 400m for 700MW. if im correct. although prices for resources on the market may change that.

ill say though that Natural Gas is my native resource so i have been getting the NGplants...

but then again i'd say Dane0 would be correct, if that is the case, i wasn't here then so i don't know. i'd take a solar plant or two lol.

appologize, this is off topic.

Edited by kiosixos

Nope, I tested it but it doesn't take that into account.

This is how you calculate how much food you need for a given amount of days:

(currentPop + dailyPopGrowth * days / 2) * days * 0.005 = food units

It is assumed that your population growth doesn't change. Your population growths exponentially but the error is negligible for any period shorter than a week or two.

foxburo's cows imported from china. chinese cows make milk with high mercury content. eat bricks, you'll never go wrong. finest london bricks, from the original united kingdom

Well, what I can tell you is that I sell food, and a lot of it. Usually 10k a day in production, and people always buy. It's not a matter of who buys, it's a matter of what price you're selling at.