Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruwakh

Population in capital

36 posts in this topic

My capital city has a population of 250,000. I believe it has been this way since the day I joined. However, it has come to my attention that many players have smaller/less populated capitals. Since your nation's overall stats seem to be closely (if not completely) correlated with the average/overall stats of your cities, having a smaller capital seems to be a significant advantage. Achieving the same stats (especially crime rate, literacy rate and disease rate) would require less infrastructure, or the same amount of infrastructure would lead to better stats. On the other hand, I have yet to find any advantage to having a more populated capital. I don't mean to say there is none, I just haven't been able to find any yet.

So my questions to you all are the following: 

How big is your capital city?

Can you recall anything that affected the size of your capital?

Have you found any advantage to having a more populated capital city?

I believe, although I'm not certain, urban population correlates with avg. income. The more people in cities per total population = more money per person.

If it does than a larger capital means more money from taxes.

Mine has a pop of 115k. It's always been at that level and nothing seems to change it. I was under the impression that capital cities have a fixed starting pop of 115k that remains static throughout the game sense it is baking alky a 3/4 upgraded metro area.

My question is why do some players have a higher pop. Is it possible to increase the pop or is there something going on that I am not aware of.

Nope, I'm not reading it wrong. Capital, 100,000. Metro Area, 150,000, City, 50,000. I kid you not. I can post screen shots...

That's really interesting. I wonder if they've been changing the size of capitals as the game has progressed, but making it only apply to newly-created nations?

Sounds like a bug.

Mine is 100,000 but i remember a week or two in to the game it lost 75,000 that is how i got my 100,000.

Not sure which is my capital city population. In the stats box it says 290,000. But below that it says November = Capital City = 140,000. Not sure which one is relevant. I posted a link to my cities page.

Never mind. no need to explain it to me. it just hit me like a truck...my 290,000 is my overall city population. but then in that case the remaining population of my country (which is over 1.1 million) is all immigrants?? That's strange. I would imagine my natural population would be higher than immigrants and my capital city have the higher population compared to my secondary cities.

So to answer your question. My capital city population is 140,000.

https://project-terra.com/City/Cities

Edited by Joediplomat

Not sure which is my capital city population. In the stats box it says 290,000. But below that it says November = Capital City = 140,000. Not sure which one is relevant. I posted a link to my cities page.

Never mind. no need to explain it to me. it just hit me like a truck...my 290,000 is my overall city population. but then in that case the remaining population of my country (which is over 1.1 million) is all immigrants?? That's strange. I would imagine my natural population would be higher than immigrants and my capital city have the higher population compared to my secondary cities.

So to answer your question. My capital city population is 140,000.

https://project-terra.com/City/Cities

We all start with a population of 500k. The part that doesn't live in your capital is rural but still native to your country. That means that 600k of your 1.1 million is a mix of immigrants and newborn babies.

That's really interesting. I wonder if they've been changing the size of capitals as the game has progressed, but making it only apply to newly-created nations?

Sounds like a bug.

These differences could be actually intented. It is true that having more people in your capital requires more infrastructure and more power but at the same time that disadvantage is countered by a higher tax income as Lost Heroes suggested. Look at my own nation I think this really is the case.

I have 270k in my capital - last I checked was 100k  - I never looked because I thought it was fixed. I do have a theory to what makes it grow but it will take awhile to confirm.

Mine has been 275,000 however I remember it being 250,000 at first...

I think it jumped to 275,000 when I got my 4th city.

@.@

So the population in our respective capitals varies wildly. We have already heard of populations as low as 100,000 and as high as 275,000.

Lost Heroes offered the theory that a higher urban population leads to a higher average income. This is plausible. The cities page says: "Usually, the more developed the nation, the higher the proportion of urban-to-rural residents." and "Urban Areas are where much of your nation's economy exists." 

I always thought this referred to literacy rate. That the average income was determined mainly by literacy rate and that literacy rates could only be raised in cities (you can't build schools in the countryside in this game). My urban population is at 53.16% and my average income is at $221.60.

I'm really curious to see if Lost Heroes' theory holds up. Even though it makes sense from a ooc perspective, I don't think an increase in average income would quite balance out differently populated capitals.

The extra needed infrastructure just adds so many additional costs. It consists of the infrastructure itself (extra cost #1), the energy needed to run the infrastructure (which requires both an investment in energy plants(#2) and in energy resource extractors and refineries(#3)) and the infrastructure maintenance (which requires at least resource extractors(#4) again, which, ironically, cost more energy). Then, the infrastructure itself(#5) and the resource extractors and refineries needed for both the energy(#6) and the building maintenance(#7) need to be staffed by public workers that, ironically, are more expensive because the average income is higher. 

As such, I find it really hard to imagine that an increase in average income is supposed to balance out the extra required infrastructure and as such I am curious to hear if any has any other theories as to what the benefits may be of having a more populated capital. Thanks for your contributions everyone, keep 'em coming!

I honestly do not recall Capital city population ever changing in alpha.

Could this be a bug? It sounds entirely ********ed up considering Robert2424 has a capital population of 100,000 and always has, whereas mine has always been 250,000+.

for the record, my capital has 120K, metro 150K, city 50K and town 10K, but TBH, i never really paid as much attention to the population of the urban areas as i do to the growth rate on my home page...

The population of my capital is 150,000 people, and I'm pretty sure that's also how it was when I joined 39 days ago.

Yeah mine has remained the same 115k since I joined, I'm leaving towards bug however maybe it's just difference in infrastructure. Right now I have 1 school, 1 Uni, 1 fire station and 2 police, and 4 clinics. What about you guys more or less the same?

There really needs to be an edit post feature, leaning toward is what I meant.

Just to point out, it makes no difference to your nation or your income how many folk live in your capital. Your income is based on your total population and avg income. So long as your total population is growing, then your income is growing. 

maybe its based on number of cities and the development state of them? or the old guard who joined on day 1/2 like me who tend to have a higher pop... FTR i am a day 1 starter from alpha and have 265k pop in northampton (main city) and approx 2m overall

Just to point out, it makes no difference to your nation or your income how many folk live in your capital. Your income is based on your total population and avg income. So long as your total population is growing, then your income is growing. 

But I always presumed that nation-wide average income, like any stat, is calculated as the weighted mean of the average incomes of the individual cities, with city population being the weight-factor. The rural part of your total population would be considered as just another "city".

If this is true then having more people living in urban areas (keeping total pop. constant) results in higher nation-wide avg. income because people seem to earn more if they live in a city.

If this is not true then please explain what those numbers on the city pages mean.

If this is not true then please explain what those numbers on the city pages mean.

Right now? They tie into your front page stats, which are what then determine your avg income. 

The 'rural' population is not represented in stat calculations at the moment, so you don't need to factor them in. They are just taken into account when calculating overall income, which is done by multiplying population by avg income. 

The 'rural' population is not represented in stat calculations at the moment, so you don't need to factor them in..

With all due respect, this sounds wrong...

My capital, 2 metros, and my city have avg. income in the 210s, but my total avg. income is 186. If rural population isn't accounted for, wouldn't my avg. income nationwide be somewhere in the 210s?