Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bla

Law Timer

29 posts in this topic

I think the current law proposal time system is slightly annoying/stressful (in lack of better words), because even if you come online at the same time every day, the moment when you can propose laws keeps getting shifted a bit around, until it eventually reaches the time when you go to bed or work or whatever, and jumps around the day, so you end up proposing less than one law per day.

I think it would be better to set a fixed time, like 12:00 UTC, so you can propose one law between that time one day and that time the next day.

If it's too heavy for the server or something to risk a lot of players coming online just after that time, alternatively, base it on the first law the player introduces. For example, if my first law is introduced at 19:30 UTC, I can introduce one law between 19:30 one and 19:30 the next day and so on. Possibly allow the player to shift the time if they want.

If there's a problem with letting players propose/repeal laws just seconds from their previous law, a possibility could also be to make a small grace period after each law, like maybe 1 hour.

Simpler would be to set a reset time instead of a timer.

(Example)

Let's say the reset time is 7:00 PM

That would mean that when a person proposes a law pass or fail they can not propose another until 7:00 PM

Some effects would be if someone passes a law at 6:59 PM then they can pass another law in 1 min but that would only be because they almost missed passing a law the previous day not because of some exploit.

This would allow a player to pass a law at any time without an issue with timers they just need to have it done before the reset time.

(Example)

That would mean that when a person proposes a law pass or fail they can not propose another until 7:00 PM

Some effects would be if someone passes a law at 6:59 PM then they can pass another law in 1 min but that would only be because they almost missed passing a law the previous day not because of some exploit.

This would allow a player to pass a law at any time without an issue with timers they just need to have it done before the reset time.

Agree with this ^ Sounds like CN timer.

(Example)

That was what I was proposing. :b

I think it would be better to set a fixed time, like 12:00 UTC, so you can propose one law between that time one day and that time the next day.

Here the reset time is 12:00 UTC.

I know there was one point where it was 23 hours between laws being passed, rather than a full 24 for this exact reason. I'll speak to Chris about it when I get a chance.

I really wish the law timer was 20 hours like it was previously. That way you can log-in during "about the same time" and still be able to pass a law. Instead have to wait for the exact time or later which leaves me missing days sometimes cause I just can't make it back after the time or remember to go back to it after.

Edit:

This was meant as a reply to the other law timer thread... not sure how I managed new topic. Sorry mods.

Edited by Micheal Malone

Aye, agreed. A simple reset timer for the server would be more enjoyable in my opinion. That way I can simply pick a convenient time and work off of that instead of having my time moving slightly forward (or dramatically forward if something happens). 

I think we need to have a minimum in between laws, maybe 8 hours?

So if the reset time is 12:00pm and you pass a law at 9:00am, you can pass your next law at 5:00pm. This would prevent passing a law at 11:59 then immediately after.

Perhaps different sorts of laws should have different cooldowns? I mean, passing a law, for instance, which offers new subsidies to a budding private sector is not really on the same legal level as a change to the nation's constitution. Criminal and Financial laws, therefore, could have lower cooldowns, as opposed to social laws, which could have a medium-length cooldown; and constitutional laws could have a longer cooldown, in a reflection of its major impact on society?

Eh, I don't mind it as it is; those who are organized and active get an advantage over people like me who aren't so organized or active.

if you're organized and active it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to pass a law at the exact same time every day, which would lead to you falling behind schedule.

But you will be able to get closer to the same time as the previous day, meaning that your number of laws passed per day will be closer to one which will give you an advantage over other players, an advantage that I believe is more than fair.

Edited by Caladin

Organization doesn't actually help with the problems caused by this timer unless you also have unlimited flexibility in your online time. It's not unreasonable to expect that a person who can only get online once a day (a "casual") can pass a law every time he or she is online. The people you describe still get an advantage over casuals in a system where the timer is 20 hours, but casuals don't get a huge inconvenience.

I don't see why it's an inconvenience; if you can't get on and pass a law, you can't get on and pass a law. 
If someone else has more time and/or is willing to put in more effort than you so as to be able to pass more laws then they deserve an advantage; it is a way to separate the nations that end up being average from the nations that end up being good.

The stated objective on the Laws page is that you can pass a law once a day. The "advantage" provided to highly active players, if there is going to be one, should be slightly improved over that, rather than simply being able to achieve the stated objective (and really just barely - it is simply impossible to always be on at exactly the same second every day without a script). Your average player should be able to pass one law each day without performing logistical acrobatics.

Theoretically you can pass a law every 24 hours with the current system.
It doesn't work in practice, but the fact remains that the current system is consistent with the description.

I prefer the cooldown idea for different laws based on impact. Sounds like a fun addition. Maybe make like a minimum of 8 hours cooldown for a law with minimal impact, like an Eat Right, Play Right campaign and have a 24-48 hour cooldown cap on major ones like government change.

I prefer the cooldown idea for different laws based on impact. Sounds like a fun addition. Maybe make like a minimum of 8 hours cooldown for a law with minimal impact, like an Eat Right, Play Right campaign and have a 24-48 hour cooldown cap on major ones like government change.

I like this idea.

I don't imagine a cooldown timer for the laws would be hard to implement. As it stands right now though, I think all it does is check against the transaction record the last time a law was passed.

But you will be able to get closer to the same time as the previous day, meaning that your number of laws passed per day will be closer to one which will give you an advantage over other players, an advantage that I believe is more than fair.

I don't see how this adds any fun to the game or makes the game more fair. If you're good at the game and can use your knowledge of the game mechanics to build the different buildings at the optimal times and pass helpful laws, etc., sure, that should be rewarded, but being rewarded simply for having a lot of spare time or being ready to organize your life around a law timer that shifts a bit around each day... that seems pointless to me.

In the end we will develop an optimum build strategy. Keeping the current law timer system in place will ensure that even after that players will have a way to get ahead of other players should they be dedicated to doing so.

In theory, however, so would different law timers for different impact laws.

Under such a scheme, a player who is on his game will be able to pass laws more efficiently. However, it would also allow more casual players to pass laws without having to wait a full 24 hours just to pass some subsidy law. Efficient, discerning players will always have an advantage over other people, but this will give players an incentive to come back every few hours, as opposed to every 24 hours.