Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thomas

Maps

11 posts in this topic

I think it would be interesting if we could position our countries on a world map with different bonuses for different regions of the world. That way people could be more satisfied with a country's size.

I think it would be interesting if we could position our countries on a world map with different bonuses for different regions of the world. That way people could be more satisfied with a country's size.

Go play P&W.

Sorry, that was harsh of me. But you literally just described P&W. This is Project Terra, where the developers innovate and create new ideas, not copy ones done by other games (staring at you Kevin and your "new and unique" crime rate).

I doubt that this is something that will be implemented, seeing that eventually the game will become too big to have a map. However, if you're dedicated to having a PT map, you could try out this thread, though it's been inactive for some time now.

Or maybe there's another, way. Anyone remember (oh, God I'm showing my age) Trade Wars from the BBS days? It's an ancient text space game which you traveled through sectors (1-1000) which were "connected" as in, you start in sector 1 and you can go to sectors 2, 12, 43, 554, etc. Perhaps PT countries could be connected via sectors (or regions), and no real map is required, or at least a simple one is generated on the fly. So no map logistics are needed. Also some regions could be seas or oceans.

This could later be implemented in the was system later; say, you can't attack via the sea if a country is land locked, or you can't launch an land invasion if not connected (unless an ally is connected), etc. This would also have an impact on trade and routes as well - you would need to pay a fee to use other countries' rail or road lines. Sea routes would be open I presume.

Generating a real map for dynamically expanding countries would be way too much.

Or maybe there's another, way. Anyone remember (oh, God I'm showing my age) Trade Wars from the BBS days? It's an ancient text space game which you traveled through sectors (1-1000) which were "connected" as in, you start in sector 1 and you can go to sectors 2, 12, 43, 554, etc. Perhaps PT countries could be connected via sectors (or regions), and no real map is required, or at least a simple one is generated on the fly. So no map logistics are needed. Also some regions could be seas or oceans.

This could later be implemented in the was system later; say, you can't attack via the sea if a country is land locked, or you can't launch an land invasion if not connected (unless an ally is connected), etc. This would also have an impact on trade and routes as well - you would need to pay a fee to use other countries' rail or road lines. Sea routes would be open I presume.

Generating a real map for dynamically expanding countries would be way too much.

The fact that someone besides me remembers Trade Wars gives me hope. :)

The only possible way I would like to see a map in game, is if it were completely unique. Not a typical Earth map, because this is Terra.

And on that note, I agree completely with this:

Sorry, that was harsh of me. But you literally just described P&W. This is Project Terra, where the developers innovate and create new ideas, not copy ones done by other games (staring at you Kevin and your "new and unique" crime rate).

Politics and War. You can't choose whether you can be attacked or not in that. I was so I gave up on it. 

Or perhaps you could create a method for players to upload their own maps. Where they could be seen in the nation interface/profile.